Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Pajama Sew Along: Day 1


  • Hi! I'm Larissa, a Stay at home mom to two wonderful kids and owner of Ellie's Trunk. You probably see me in a lot of designers sewing groups and the big PDF group quite often. My oldest, Jody, just turned 11. She is my little fashionista. The baby is 6 months old. That's right, they are 10 1/2 years apart!

  • When I was a child, Christmas always meant three things. First, lots of goodies to eat. Second, we would be seeing family that we rarely got to see. Third, we would get a new pajama set. We always opened them first, then ran to change into them, claim our spot on the floor and open presents! Now, my family opens presents on Christmas Morning, but I still wanted to carry on the tradition of pajamas on Christmas Eve. Usually, they are store bought and reflect the interest of my daughter that year. Well, I have been sewing for just over 2 years now, and decided that this year would be momma made jammies! I am still trying to convince myself that I will be able to complete jammies for both kids, pajama pants for both myself and the husband, and sew up Christmas Day outfits for both kids. Christmas is 2 weeks away....I can't seem to get anything done unless I have a deadline these days. When Jodi contacted me about running a sew a long for her, and then said she wanted to do pajamas, I was sold! Get some Holiday sewing done, and a deadline to meet!

If you have any questions the Jocole FB group is a great place to ask them!

On to the sewing !!  Today we're working on the Shirt ... Steps 1 through 12.

By now, you should have all your pieces cut out  (the picture is for the cuffed version) ... neckband, sleeve, sleeve cuff, front and back

[Steps 1 - 4]  Place the front and back right sides together and sew the shoulder seams -- be sure to stretch it a bit while sewing if you aren't using a serger.  Topstitch if desired!  (Oops, I forgot to snap a picture of that step!)

[Steps 5 - 9]  Next, take your neckband piece and sew it into a loop!  Fold it in half and mark it into quarters.  Do the same for the neckline of the shirt.

  • [Steps 10 - 12]  Now we'll them together, matching the pins.  Remember to stretch it just a bit while sewing if you aren't using a serger.

Join us tomorrow when we will construct our sleeve, and either hem or add the cuff pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment